DWP forces the ill and vulnerable to use 0845 numbers
Submitted by SeaFern on Mon, 2008-08-11 21:25
- In the last year or so all the contact numbers I have for Disability Living Allowance and Incapacity Benefit have changed from 'normal' geographical numbers to 0845 numbers. These numbers cost 4p a minute plus a connection charge of 6p. Not much, you might think.
- But the thing is, I have an inclusive phone plan which means that all my local and national phone calls are FREE, except for those numbers starting 08. When I used to phone these departments for advice, it cost me nothing. Now it costs me something. Who benefits from this? The DWP get a 'cut' of the cost of the phonecall. The longer they keep you on hold, the more money they get.
- A nice little earner from the sick and vulnerable.
- These departments refuse to give out the geographical 'platform' number that these 0845 numbers forward to, claiming there isn't one. Which is a lie.
- I'm pretty unhappy that these public service departments show themselves to be both avaricious and mendacious in this matter. I wonder how far these characteristics pervade the rest of these departments?